Saturday, November 10, 2012

Whatever Happened to Cloaks and Capes?

Is anyone watching the ABC show Once Upon a Time?

Essentially it's a unique story line where all fairytale characters are real, but as part of an evil curse, they've been banished to our world and have no memory of their past. Conceived by a couple of people behind the series LOST, parts of it are pretty good, but there are also times when the acting and writing are ridiculously awful. But! Let's talk about fashion, especially the cloaks.

Why did we ever move away from wearing capes and cloaks in real life? Seriously, I know winter coats are more fitted, but they're also shorter so you're colder. Plus, who wouldn't want to wear what is essentially a blanket wrapped around them during the winter? I mean, look at how popular Snuggies are, and those things are so hideous I can't even look at them when I go into Walgreens.

For those who don't watch the show, some visuals (all of which are probably owned by ABC):





Aren't they all beautiful? Seriously, check out a couple episodes just to watch the cloaks because a picture can't capture the movement I'm obsessed with.

But I can't bring myself to make one because it would probably be weird walking around New York City with a full length cloak, especially since it hasn't really been snowing much in the last few years. 

I've thought about making a capelet, but I feel like they're too short to really be able to justify making it. It would purely be a decoration piece, and I'm far too practical for that.


I have this Vogue pattern, and I've had it on my list of things to make for this winter. (Although now that it IS winter, perhaps I waited too long?) I think it would be a good start, and a fashionable transition from the Enchanted Forest to NYC.

What do you think? Any interest in cloaks or capes?

1 comment:

  1. I love Once Upon A Time! (Although I do think it was better last season -- they're getting perilously close to jumping the shark). And I definitely vote for Vogue 6032. I've seen a couple capes like that and they look very chic.

    ReplyDelete